Skip to main content

Truth and grace

Recently I have felt stuck in my faith. Not that I haven't been growing, but I have been stuck in the "in between."  I have been seeing so much of what seems to be contradictions in the bible. Easy examples of this, are all God and  all man, freedom and  servitude, truth and  grace. What God has been showing me, is that they aren't contradictions at all. That word "and" joins them. They go together. Then I really started asking Him, how can I live in the "and"?
You see, my whole life, I've been about the truth. Yes God gives me grace, but I don't give it to others, because I didn't know how to give grace and  truth. I was about the rules. I wanted to be in the "and," I just didn't know how to reconcile both in my head. They will know us by our love, but they know us by our rules. I'm a christian guilty of keeping people from Christ.
I have always been about following the rules. If you do this, stay away from that, God will love you and let you into heaven. I can guilt trip just about anyone to the alter, but I thought if I convinced them to change on the outside, they would also change on the inside. I had somehow let myself become a pharisee. And that's not so easy to get over. I would help a homeless person on the street. I have, many times. They are the "least of these." Don't ask me to help someone who has been in and out of jail because they have a drug problem. They did that to themselves. I'm ashamed of ever thinking that now. Here's the thing, I thought that since I'm going to church, I'm praising God, I'm reading my bible, having small group, and all the things that make me a good "christian," I could look down on people. Tell them how to be like me, which rules to keep. Because I thought there were good people and there were bad people. Recently God showed me that we're all  bad people in need of grace. Romans 3:23 says "for all  have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." That includes me. I'm a sinner in great need of a savior. Jesus attracted people because of his mercy and grace. Because of his love, when it wasn't deserved. If I want to be like Jesus, I need to learn grace. I need to learn love, agape love. Not getting caught up on whether they deserve it.
What I have learned is that obedience is a response to salvation, not a way to earn it. I've learned that you don't have to change to open your bible, opening your bible will change you. I've learned that there is complete freedom when you finally accept that you don't deserve the love of Jesus, that you never will, but that He loves you anyway. I've learned that the easiest way to spread the gospel, is to spread the grace. I've learned that I can interact and hear God every single day by reading his word, and actually listening for what He's saying, not what I'm wanting to hear. I've learned His voice is booming. And His love is consuming. He doesn't just accept me, He delights in me. I am beloved.  I finally learned I am saved by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone. And I have finally realized that's how others are saved too. Not by following rules that I so methodically thump them over the head with.
Once again I wasn't sure about posting this entry. I wait for God to send me a confirmation, He did that this morning before church. And I want to say that I was listening today when Kim was talking about God loving us. About how salvation isn't earned. He gives it freely. That's true, but sometimes we hear that so much that we get desensitized to it. I think it's can be the same for the people outside the church. They hear Jesus loves them, that they don't earn it. We explain it in a million different ways, but the way it finally breaks through, is them feeling God's love through us.

It's been a journey with God for me. Finding the "and" in truth and grace. I needed that in between. It's love. The way to give truth and show grace is love.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happily Ever After

              I remember the day we got married. I was beautiful, dressed in white. My gorgeous groom standing at the end of the aisle. Our forever waiting on the other side of 'I Do'. I didn't even hesitate. I was never more sure of anything in my life. This man was for me. Fairy tales don't always have a happy ending. I blinked. I'm in a courtroom with that same man, before a magistrate. The best thing we ever did, standing between us, tiny hands tucked into ours, as we dissolve our family.  I regret more than anything that I didn't think ahead and get a sitter. Instead, I let my daughter witness the destruction I was trying to protect her from. I waited until I was alone, then I cried for my daughter. For the consequences my choices would have on her life. For how my decision would shape her as a person. For the family I ripped from her.              Divorce is heavy. It affects my children, my witness, my family and friends. It even affects my relationship

Angel of Death

I have never wanted to be a nurse. My mother is a nurse and she put me up to it. I had a son and had no idea how to take care of him, and nursing would pay the bills. That's the honest beginning of my nursing career. I've been a nurse for over a decade now, and have worked many places. I once worked for a nursing home that had about 50 residents. There was a stretch there where every patient that passed away, did it on my shift. I got the nickname angel of death. I used to get offended when called that because no one wants to be associated with death. Ironically enough, I've been a hospice nurse for the last 7 years. For those of you who don't know, hospice simply means end of life care. I have listened to a heart, beat its last beat. I have held a persons hand while they took their last breath. I have read scripture to a preachers son as he went into the arms of Jesus. I have had the honor of being there for patients and families as they struggle to say goodbye to th

The Opposite of More

I was listening to a program that had the author of 'The Shack' speaking. He was talking about losing everything he owned and starting over. He said something that I wrote down because I thought it was  significant. He said 'the opposite of more, isn't less. The opposite of more, is enough'. I can admit that I struggle with that in my life. We live in a world where we are constantly told that we are less than, if we don't have everything other people have. We concentrate more on others' blessings, than our own. We scroll tirelessly on social media sites, envious of each other's houses, clothes, parenting, hair, personalities, talents, etc. We set up our own perfect pictures, removing any clutter from the photo, and instead, staging what looks to be an intimate hallmark moment. Then we filter it obsessively until it no longer even resembles real life. We make our children get in on the action too. Inadvertently teaching them that the way the world sees