Skip to main content

8 minutes

It's very hard for me to tell this story, because I don't want any focus on me. I considered not telling it, or pretending it was someone else's story. I prayed about it, and here we are. I think it's important to say that I pray before I write any blog, and then I wait for confirmation before posting any blog.
It started as a normal enough day. I had a million things to do, before I had to race back home in time to get the boys off the bus, and wait on the people in our small group to show up. I was in Sam's club, for a specific item, when I saw cozy thick blankets on sale for $9.99. I wasn't even headed in that direction, when I heard the Spirit say "get 2." I picked up 2 of the blankets and put them in the cart. I thought it was getting colder outside and I'm sure I will pass some homeless that need a blanket. I got a few more items and left the store. I went over to another store and got a few items there as well. Last place I had to go was to Little Caesar's Pizza. I'm a den mother by default and I have to feed my small group.
As I was heading out of the parking lot, I got stopped at the red light. I saw a man, who was very clearly down and out. He had a pitbull at his side. He had a sign of cardboard pleading. I didn't even read it. I immediately got out 5 dollars and handed him the money, and one of those comfy new blankets. He thanked me, I blessed him. I started to drive away, feeling pretty proud of myself, when the Spirit spoke again "What you do for the least of these, you do for me. Five bucks and a blanket is what you would do for me?" No, definitely not. I thought about where I was going next. Okay, so I will get him a pizza. That's what I'm doing for my family, and friends. That is what I will do for this man. I pull into the Little Caesar's parking lot. I go inside to get hot-n-ready pizzas, because I'm already running late, and I want to get home. The man behind the counter tells me that the hot-n-readys aren't ready. Wait, what?!
It's in the title! Hot-N-Ready! Sorry ma'am. It's going to be 8 minutes, man says. I sit down defeated. I had a plan. I came to get pizza, then I was going to go back and give it to the homeless man. Then the Spirit said "don't worry about the man. Just be obedient." Okay, so I sit and wait. Finally the pizzas are done. I get back in the car and head back to where I saw the man. I couldn't even believe what I saw. He took that brand new blanket, and wrapped his dog in it! Of course! I remember hearing that a homeless person with an animal, will always take care of the animal before themselves. Like a parent would.
I drove back over to him, gave him food, and then handed him the second new blanket. His name is Joe and he's a very nice man. Please pray for him.
You see, the hot-n-readys couldn't be ready. God is in complete control. He needed me to be still for 8 minutes, so when I got back over to Joe, I could see, that the second blanket the Spirit told me to get, was also for him. So many times I ignore the soft nudge of the Holy Spirit. Oh, but when I'm obedient, He blesses me greatly. I need to learn to trust Him in the waiting because He always has a purpose. And a lot can happen in 8 minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happily Ever After

              I remember the day we got married. I was beautiful, dressed in white. My gorgeous groom standing at the end of the aisle. Our forever waiting on the other side of 'I Do'. I didn't even hesitate. I was never more sure of anything in my life. This man was for me. Fairy tales don't always have a happy ending. I blinked. I'm in a courtroom with that same man, before a magistrate. The best thing we ever did, standing between us, tiny hands tucked into ours, as we dissolve our family.  I regret more than anything that I didn't think ahead and get a sitter. Instead, I let my daughter witness the destruction I was trying to protect her from. I waited until I was alone, then I cried for my daughter. For the consequences my choices would have on her life. For how my decision would shape her as a person. For the family I ripped from her.              Divorce is heavy. It affects my children, my witness, my family and friends. It even affects my relationship

Angel of Death

I have never wanted to be a nurse. My mother is a nurse and she put me up to it. I had a son and had no idea how to take care of him, and nursing would pay the bills. That's the honest beginning of my nursing career. I've been a nurse for over a decade now, and have worked many places. I once worked for a nursing home that had about 50 residents. There was a stretch there where every patient that passed away, did it on my shift. I got the nickname angel of death. I used to get offended when called that because no one wants to be associated with death. Ironically enough, I've been a hospice nurse for the last 7 years. For those of you who don't know, hospice simply means end of life care. I have listened to a heart, beat its last beat. I have held a persons hand while they took their last breath. I have read scripture to a preachers son as he went into the arms of Jesus. I have had the honor of being there for patients and families as they struggle to say goodbye to th

The Opposite of More

I was listening to a program that had the author of 'The Shack' speaking. He was talking about losing everything he owned and starting over. He said something that I wrote down because I thought it was  significant. He said 'the opposite of more, isn't less. The opposite of more, is enough'. I can admit that I struggle with that in my life. We live in a world where we are constantly told that we are less than, if we don't have everything other people have. We concentrate more on others' blessings, than our own. We scroll tirelessly on social media sites, envious of each other's houses, clothes, parenting, hair, personalities, talents, etc. We set up our own perfect pictures, removing any clutter from the photo, and instead, staging what looks to be an intimate hallmark moment. Then we filter it obsessively until it no longer even resembles real life. We make our children get in on the action too. Inadvertently teaching them that the way the world sees