Skip to main content

From dusty roads to paradise

My mama passed on a notion to me, that she heard from some preacher she can't remember. The Bible is our sustenance, our manna. We need it daily. DAILY. Just like food. And who doesn't eat? Dead people. I remember the first time I heard that. It was so eye opening to the people I saw every day. I could tell just by a simple conversation who wasn't actually partaking in the word of God daily. The spiritually dead. One man in particular described that to me. He is my brother. I love him dearly, but honestly he isn't the type you'd want over for dinner.
He's not a bad person. Made some pretty bad decisions over his life, but it's the language that would get you. He could make a sailor blush. I've never heard so many curse words in one sentence before.
Matthew 15:18 says But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. Judging by that, my brother was the most spiritually dead person I had ever met. Saddest part is, if you asked, he'd tell you he was a Christian.
He was vulgar. He made dirty jokes in front of his own mother without missing a beat. He was the angriest person I've ever known. It seemed like no matter what, Kevin would never be happy. He treated people badly, because he was his own number one. Always.
Then something happened. Jesus' grace radically collided with my brother's heart. It happened literally overnight. We were talking about God one day, and as usual I was inviting him to church. He told me he didn't need to go, because talking to me was like going to church. I know he meant that to be an insult, but I have to say, that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me.
I don't even remember exactly how the conversation went after that because I didn't know it would be significant at the time. He got off the phone, promising to listen to a sermon called "power of the same," by Steven Furtick. Next thing I know, he was calling me and his exact words were "I need a bible."
Once Kevin started getting into the word of God, a real miracle of the heart happened. All he wanted to talk about was God. He wanted to read, and listen, and learn. Talking to him was engaging. The day after he got his bible, we had a two hour conversation and not one time did he curse. You can't do that by yourself. Even if he tried, he would eventually slip up, after all the years he talked like that.
From there he really accepted Jesus, and now we talk every day, almost all day. Always about God. We are reading the bible together with a few others. We had an estranged relationship. Now, not only is he my brother, he's my brother in Christ!
Pastor Paul lit the salvation candle for Kevin today. I sat in my seat, and watched the light from the candle, with my brother sitting right behind me. I thought back to what Kevin had said to me, talking to me was like going to church. I'm so incredibly blessed that now, I can say the same to him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drive Safe

 I remember the day before. Telling him that he was dying. I prepared myself, but in the end, I couldn’t even say the words. Even now I can’t say the “D” word. I have built myself up enough to say he has passed away. I feel that is enough. I remember the words I chose at his bedside and how determined I was to be strong for him. “You’re not walking out of here this time,” I said. “There’s nothing more they can do.” I remember the look on his face. The way he turned away and stared at the ceiling. He did that a lot here lately whenever he didn’t want to hear what was being said.             “Daddy?”             He looked at me.             “Do you understand?”             “Yes.” He mouthed. He now had a trach in place so it was then that I realized I would never get to hear his voice again.             “Are you okay?” I asked.   ...

Happily Ever After

              I remember the day we got married. I was beautiful, dressed in white. My gorgeous groom standing at the end of the aisle. Our forever waiting on the other side of 'I Do'. I didn't even hesitate. I was never more sure of anything in my life. This man was for me. Fairy tales don't always have a happy ending. I blinked. I'm in a courtroom with that same man, before a magistrate. The best thing we ever did, standing between us, tiny hands tucked into ours, as we dissolve our family.  I regret more than anything that I didn't think ahead and get a sitter. Instead, I let my daughter witness the destruction I was trying to protect her from. I waited until I was alone, then I cried for my daughter. For the consequences my choices would have on her life. For how my decision would shape her as a person. For the family I ripped from her.              Divorce is heavy. It affects my children, my witness, my fa...

The Giver

Giving sure seems easy at Christmas time. Everyone is out at the stores, looking for that perfect gift. People are much more charitable, and aware, that some people are going without. This is the one time a year where it seems like everyone rallies together to make sure that every child gets something, and no person goes hungry. Let's skip ahead to tax time. We all know it is right around the corner. People are making plans on where that money is going to go. What they're going to buy for themselves. I'm guilty of this. I have plans for a Virginia Beach vacation, some more essential oils, pay off some bills. These are all things that are centered around me. Sometimes I wonder what my life would look like if I lived in truth. The truth is, all that I have, all that's around me, is God's. None of this belongs to me. Why do I so selfishly white-knuckle-hold things that I can't even keep? Jim Elliot said "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain wh...