Skip to main content

From dusty roads to paradise

My mama passed on a notion to me, that she heard from some preacher she can't remember. The Bible is our sustenance, our manna. We need it daily. DAILY. Just like food. And who doesn't eat? Dead people. I remember the first time I heard that. It was so eye opening to the people I saw every day. I could tell just by a simple conversation who wasn't actually partaking in the word of God daily. The spiritually dead. One man in particular described that to me. He is my brother. I love him dearly, but honestly he isn't the type you'd want over for dinner.
He's not a bad person. Made some pretty bad decisions over his life, but it's the language that would get you. He could make a sailor blush. I've never heard so many curse words in one sentence before.
Matthew 15:18 says But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. Judging by that, my brother was the most spiritually dead person I had ever met. Saddest part is, if you asked, he'd tell you he was a Christian.
He was vulgar. He made dirty jokes in front of his own mother without missing a beat. He was the angriest person I've ever known. It seemed like no matter what, Kevin would never be happy. He treated people badly, because he was his own number one. Always.
Then something happened. Jesus' grace radically collided with my brother's heart. It happened literally overnight. We were talking about God one day, and as usual I was inviting him to church. He told me he didn't need to go, because talking to me was like going to church. I know he meant that to be an insult, but I have to say, that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me.
I don't even remember exactly how the conversation went after that because I didn't know it would be significant at the time. He got off the phone, promising to listen to a sermon called "power of the same," by Steven Furtick. Next thing I know, he was calling me and his exact words were "I need a bible."
Once Kevin started getting into the word of God, a real miracle of the heart happened. All he wanted to talk about was God. He wanted to read, and listen, and learn. Talking to him was engaging. The day after he got his bible, we had a two hour conversation and not one time did he curse. You can't do that by yourself. Even if he tried, he would eventually slip up, after all the years he talked like that.
From there he really accepted Jesus, and now we talk every day, almost all day. Always about God. We are reading the bible together with a few others. We had an estranged relationship. Now, not only is he my brother, he's my brother in Christ!
Pastor Paul lit the salvation candle for Kevin today. I sat in my seat, and watched the light from the candle, with my brother sitting right behind me. I thought back to what Kevin had said to me, talking to me was like going to church. I'm so incredibly blessed that now, I can say the same to him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happily Ever After

              I remember the day we got married. I was beautiful, dressed in white. My gorgeous groom standing at the end of the aisle. Our forever waiting on the other side of 'I Do'. I didn't even hesitate. I was never more sure of anything in my life. This man was for me. Fairy tales don't always have a happy ending. I blinked. I'm in a courtroom with that same man, before a magistrate. The best thing we ever did, standing between us, tiny hands tucked into ours, as we dissolve our family.  I regret more than anything that I didn't think ahead and get a sitter. Instead, I let my daughter witness the destruction I was trying to protect her from. I waited until I was alone, then I cried for my daughter. For the consequences my choices would have on her life. For how my decision would shape her as a person. For the family I ripped from her.              Divorce is heavy. It affects my children, my witness, my family and friends. It even affects my relationship

Angel of Death

I have never wanted to be a nurse. My mother is a nurse and she put me up to it. I had a son and had no idea how to take care of him, and nursing would pay the bills. That's the honest beginning of my nursing career. I've been a nurse for over a decade now, and have worked many places. I once worked for a nursing home that had about 50 residents. There was a stretch there where every patient that passed away, did it on my shift. I got the nickname angel of death. I used to get offended when called that because no one wants to be associated with death. Ironically enough, I've been a hospice nurse for the last 7 years. For those of you who don't know, hospice simply means end of life care. I have listened to a heart, beat its last beat. I have held a persons hand while they took their last breath. I have read scripture to a preachers son as he went into the arms of Jesus. I have had the honor of being there for patients and families as they struggle to say goodbye to th

The Opposite of More

I was listening to a program that had the author of 'The Shack' speaking. He was talking about losing everything he owned and starting over. He said something that I wrote down because I thought it was  significant. He said 'the opposite of more, isn't less. The opposite of more, is enough'. I can admit that I struggle with that in my life. We live in a world where we are constantly told that we are less than, if we don't have everything other people have. We concentrate more on others' blessings, than our own. We scroll tirelessly on social media sites, envious of each other's houses, clothes, parenting, hair, personalities, talents, etc. We set up our own perfect pictures, removing any clutter from the photo, and instead, staging what looks to be an intimate hallmark moment. Then we filter it obsessively until it no longer even resembles real life. We make our children get in on the action too. Inadvertently teaching them that the way the world sees