Skip to main content

The Lord is my Shepherd

As a Christian, I believe that every interaction I have with every single person, either brings them closer to Jesus, or pushes them farther away. Sometimes I fall short. This is about one of those times.
This actually happened fairly recent. I'm not going to get into the details, but a fellow nurse at my work posted something that was meant to be funny. Not only was it not funny, it was highly offensive. I could have just scrolled on down my facebook feed. I could have hidden her post from showing up. I didn't do either of those things. Instead I reacted. I let her have it. Right there on social media for the whole world to see. To which, she promptly emailed me, letting me have it, and then blocked me from responding back.
I was so mad. I felt completely justified in it. I had every right to call her out on that. To let her know that she was wrong. For a few days, I rode the wave of self-righteousness.
After that I started remembering something I heard. Jesus had every right to be offended, and he never was. He had nothing to prove, and only one to please. If you're looking for a reason to be offended, you will surely find it.
I decided I would apologize. Unfortunately I couldn't speak to her on social media because I was blocked. I planned on apologizing when I saw her next at work. The problem with that turned out to be, in the field of hospice, you hardly see your coworkers. I just sort of let it go, and figured someday I would.
One morning I felt God tugging at my heart over this woman. I tried to do other things, but He just kept bringing me back to her. I thought 'I can't apologize to her, how can I? I haven't seen her, and I am unable to speak to her on social media.' He said 'you have a work phone.' That's right! Our employer gave us all cell phones, so I could reach out to her on her work phone. Okay. I told God I would do that, sometime soon.
'Now.'  He said.
Fine, now. I go and texted her number. I simply asked if it were her phone. No reply. Well I reached out to her, she obviously doesn't want to talk to me. I will try again another day. Maybe tomorrow I would call the phone.
'Now,' He said.
Fine, I will just humiliate myself. Who knows if it's even her assigned phone. I apologized. I told her why I reacted, that it was wrong to do. That I regret it. Eventually I got a response back. Kindly telling me she accepted my olive branch, and that she was glad I reached out. I didn't realize how hard I was holding onto that, but once she accepted my apology, I released all that tension.
The very next day, a text was sent out from work. This woman that I just reconciled with, resigned from the company, and it was her last day. She turned in her phone and moved on with her life. God is so incredible. He nudged me that exact day because He knew what I didn't. This was the last chance I would ever have to apologize.
It reminded me that when I'm following the shepherd, He will lead me exactly where I need to go. It also taught me seeking forgiveness from others, is just as important as giving it. Both can keep you from Christ. I'm not sure if our encounter brought her any closer to Jesus, but I know it brought me back to the foot of the cross.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happily Ever After

              I remember the day we got married. I was beautiful, dressed in white. My gorgeous groom standing at the end of the aisle. Our forever waiting on the other side of 'I Do'. I didn't even hesitate. I was never more sure of anything in my life. This man was for me. Fairy tales don't always have a happy ending. I blinked. I'm in a courtroom with that same man, before a magistrate. The best thing we ever did, standing between us, tiny hands tucked into ours, as we dissolve our family.  I regret more than anything that I didn't think ahead and get a sitter. Instead, I let my daughter witness the destruction I was trying to protect her from. I waited until I was alone, then I cried for my daughter. For the consequences my choices would have on her life. For how my decision would shape her as a person. For the family I ripped from her.              Divorce is heavy. It affects my children, my witness, my family and friends. It even affects my relationship

Angel of Death

I have never wanted to be a nurse. My mother is a nurse and she put me up to it. I had a son and had no idea how to take care of him, and nursing would pay the bills. That's the honest beginning of my nursing career. I've been a nurse for over a decade now, and have worked many places. I once worked for a nursing home that had about 50 residents. There was a stretch there where every patient that passed away, did it on my shift. I got the nickname angel of death. I used to get offended when called that because no one wants to be associated with death. Ironically enough, I've been a hospice nurse for the last 7 years. For those of you who don't know, hospice simply means end of life care. I have listened to a heart, beat its last beat. I have held a persons hand while they took their last breath. I have read scripture to a preachers son as he went into the arms of Jesus. I have had the honor of being there for patients and families as they struggle to say goodbye to th

The Opposite of More

I was listening to a program that had the author of 'The Shack' speaking. He was talking about losing everything he owned and starting over. He said something that I wrote down because I thought it was  significant. He said 'the opposite of more, isn't less. The opposite of more, is enough'. I can admit that I struggle with that in my life. We live in a world where we are constantly told that we are less than, if we don't have everything other people have. We concentrate more on others' blessings, than our own. We scroll tirelessly on social media sites, envious of each other's houses, clothes, parenting, hair, personalities, talents, etc. We set up our own perfect pictures, removing any clutter from the photo, and instead, staging what looks to be an intimate hallmark moment. Then we filter it obsessively until it no longer even resembles real life. We make our children get in on the action too. Inadvertently teaching them that the way the world sees