Skip to main content

Work is a form of worship

Worship starts with a thankful heart. There are many forms. Singing praises is always the one that comes to mind for most. Raising your kids with a thankful heart, is a form of worship. Tithing with a thankful heart, is a form of worship. Serving the church with a thankful heart, is a form of worship.
Work is also a form of worship. I used to think that I needed to work in the ministry to truly spread the gospel. I was way off base. The point isn't to bring all the Christians into a collective group. We are supposed to bloom where we're planted, so to speak. You may work in retail, drive a semi, or run the cash register at McDonalds. Wherever you go, you're living a silent sermon that tells the rest of the world of the love of Jesus.
Colossians 3:17 says whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.
I am a hospice nurse. One day I was called to see a patient. I was asked to help him get out of bed and ready for his day. I arrived at the facility, met the patient, and his wife. The patient was unable to care for himself at all, so it was clear that I would have to help him with all personal care. His wife was honestly one of the rudest people I had ever met. She told me what to do every step of the way, but didn't lift a single finger to help care for her husband. She made snide comments about the way I did things, even where I placed things, because it wasn't exactly how she would do it.
After assisting her very nice husband with his activities of daily living, and to his recliner, his wife told me to make his bed. She didn't ask me, and she didn't even tell me politely. I couldn't believe that someone would speak to another person this way. I walked into the bedroom. She had two twin beds pushed together. A giant blanket was at the bottom of the two beds. I smiled to myself and got to work. I already knew how I was going to stick it to her. I was going to make "his" bed exactly like she told me to. I wasn't going to touch her little twin bed. She could make it herself. I smirked the whole time I was making his bed. I finished and started across the room. I got to the doorway and looked back, to admire my work.
Then I felt that familiar tug at my spirit. He said "Who do you belong to?"
He was right. People can treat me how they wish, but I am a child of God. I was made to infect the world with His love and grace.
I walked back over to the bed, I made the other side up, just as nice as my patient's side. I walked back out into the living room, and said goodbye to my patient. I said goodbye to his wife as well, with a smile, and told her to have a wonderful day. She never said a word back to me. I left their home and went back into the world.
Worship isn't always easy. It requires real sacrifice. Worship will always cost you something. Whether it be money, time, or even pride.
Ultimately worship isn't any one event. It's a lifestyle. It's to live your life in obedience to God, while giving Him glory with, you guessed it, a thankful heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happily Ever After

              I remember the day we got married. I was beautiful, dressed in white. My gorgeous groom standing at the end of the aisle. Our forever waiting on the other side of 'I Do'. I didn't even hesitate. I was never more sure of anything in my life. This man was for me. Fairy tales don't always have a happy ending. I blinked. I'm in a courtroom with that same man, before a magistrate. The best thing we ever did, standing between us, tiny hands tucked into ours, as we dissolve our family.  I regret more than anything that I didn't think ahead and get a sitter. Instead, I let my daughter witness the destruction I was trying to protect her from. I waited until I was alone, then I cried for my daughter. For the consequences my choices would have on her life. For how my decision would shape her as a person. For the family I ripped from her.              Divorce is heavy. It affects my children, my witness, my family and friends. It even affects my relationship

Angel of Death

I have never wanted to be a nurse. My mother is a nurse and she put me up to it. I had a son and had no idea how to take care of him, and nursing would pay the bills. That's the honest beginning of my nursing career. I've been a nurse for over a decade now, and have worked many places. I once worked for a nursing home that had about 50 residents. There was a stretch there where every patient that passed away, did it on my shift. I got the nickname angel of death. I used to get offended when called that because no one wants to be associated with death. Ironically enough, I've been a hospice nurse for the last 7 years. For those of you who don't know, hospice simply means end of life care. I have listened to a heart, beat its last beat. I have held a persons hand while they took their last breath. I have read scripture to a preachers son as he went into the arms of Jesus. I have had the honor of being there for patients and families as they struggle to say goodbye to th

The Opposite of More

I was listening to a program that had the author of 'The Shack' speaking. He was talking about losing everything he owned and starting over. He said something that I wrote down because I thought it was  significant. He said 'the opposite of more, isn't less. The opposite of more, is enough'. I can admit that I struggle with that in my life. We live in a world where we are constantly told that we are less than, if we don't have everything other people have. We concentrate more on others' blessings, than our own. We scroll tirelessly on social media sites, envious of each other's houses, clothes, parenting, hair, personalities, talents, etc. We set up our own perfect pictures, removing any clutter from the photo, and instead, staging what looks to be an intimate hallmark moment. Then we filter it obsessively until it no longer even resembles real life. We make our children get in on the action too. Inadvertently teaching them that the way the world sees