Skip to main content

For one so small, you seem so strong now

Today my firstborn turns 13. I can't even believe I'm the mom of a teenager. Yesterday I was a teenager. Then I blinked and here we are. All my parents out there know that your first kid is mostly trial and error. They get the worst version of you because you don't know what you're doing. When I had Tahcowa, I was 20 years old. Barely a grown up. Barely taking care of myself. When Cowa was 2 months old, I started nursing school.
I can remember me and Tahcowa in our apartment getting ready for bed. He was 8 months old. I carried him upstairs and passed by the mirror on my closet door. I stopped and looked in it. Tahcowa was always a big kid so even that young, he filled my arms and was heavy. I remember thinking that we may have been a broken family, but we were still a family.
Tahcowa didn't speak until he was 3. He was diagnosed with mixed expressive and receptive language delay. Which means he couldn't understand sometimes what you were saying to him, and he had a difficult times conveying what he wanted to say to you. He started school at age 3, and it took a lot of work during this time. He didn't say a full sentence until he was 4 years old.
Later on we moved into another apartment and I started dating Kaden's dad. I won't go into the story because it's not really relevant, but that relationship didn't work out. It left my broken family a little bigger. We had another little boy in tow. Then I met Brandon and we got married and had Arilyn.
As much as I hate for people to know my story because of the light in paints me in, it's important for me to tell Tahcowa's beginning, for the light in paints him in.
Tahcowa went through this entire journey with me. He watched as I tried the best I could, and fell short a million times. Cowa has the most reasons to be damaged. But oh what a God we have.
When God created this boy I love, He gave him the biggest heart. He instilled in my boy a gentle kindness. Tahcowa has incredible character.
None of this was my doing. God gave me this wonder of a child in spite of the things I was doing to screw him up. Just last week he told me that someone drew something inappropriate in the boy's bathroom. Not only did he go tell the office secretary, he blocked the door from anyone going in while it was being cleaned up. He never thought twice about telling someone. How many boys would do that? This is the same boy that let his brother wear his birthday pin because Kaden was crying and Tahcowa didn't want him to be sad. When he was 6 a kid was being mean to him. I was being funny and said I was going to beat the kid up for being mean to my baby. Of course he told me I couldn't beat up a kid. "Fine! I will beat his mama up!" No, he told me. What if that kid didn't have a dad and I beat his mama up, then he wouldn't have any parents. Talk about breaking your heart and touching it at the same time. Now this is where his diagnosis came into play. He didn't understand that I was being funny, or that beating someone up wouldn't kill them. He was just thinking about this boy having no parents. The same boy that was picking on him.
I've never met someone with a heart like his. It truly is from God.
Sometimes I think about how fast Tahcowa is growing up, and I panic at the thought that I didn't teach him everything I wanted to, before he is on his own. Then it dawns on me. He's not on his own. God is with him, and God has already done more for that boy than I ever could.
Happy 13th birthday Tahcowa Shayne. The day you were born, my black and white world, burst into color. You made me a mom. I am so proud of the young man you are turning into.  I love you bug. More than all the stars in the sky.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happily Ever After

              I remember the day we got married. I was beautiful, dressed in white. My gorgeous groom standing at the end of the aisle. Our forever waiting on the other side of 'I Do'. I didn't even hesitate. I was never more sure of anything in my life. This man was for me. Fairy tales don't always have a happy ending. I blinked. I'm in a courtroom with that same man, before a magistrate. The best thing we ever did, standing between us, tiny hands tucked into ours, as we dissolve our family.  I regret more than anything that I didn't think ahead and get a sitter. Instead, I let my daughter witness the destruction I was trying to protect her from. I waited until I was alone, then I cried for my daughter. For the consequences my choices would have on her life. For how my decision would shape her as a person. For the family I ripped from her.              Divorce is heavy. It affects my children, my witness, my family and friends. It even affects my relationship

Angel of Death

I have never wanted to be a nurse. My mother is a nurse and she put me up to it. I had a son and had no idea how to take care of him, and nursing would pay the bills. That's the honest beginning of my nursing career. I've been a nurse for over a decade now, and have worked many places. I once worked for a nursing home that had about 50 residents. There was a stretch there where every patient that passed away, did it on my shift. I got the nickname angel of death. I used to get offended when called that because no one wants to be associated with death. Ironically enough, I've been a hospice nurse for the last 7 years. For those of you who don't know, hospice simply means end of life care. I have listened to a heart, beat its last beat. I have held a persons hand while they took their last breath. I have read scripture to a preachers son as he went into the arms of Jesus. I have had the honor of being there for patients and families as they struggle to say goodbye to th

The Opposite of More

I was listening to a program that had the author of 'The Shack' speaking. He was talking about losing everything he owned and starting over. He said something that I wrote down because I thought it was  significant. He said 'the opposite of more, isn't less. The opposite of more, is enough'. I can admit that I struggle with that in my life. We live in a world where we are constantly told that we are less than, if we don't have everything other people have. We concentrate more on others' blessings, than our own. We scroll tirelessly on social media sites, envious of each other's houses, clothes, parenting, hair, personalities, talents, etc. We set up our own perfect pictures, removing any clutter from the photo, and instead, staging what looks to be an intimate hallmark moment. Then we filter it obsessively until it no longer even resembles real life. We make our children get in on the action too. Inadvertently teaching them that the way the world sees