Skip to main content

Nobody puts Jesus in the corner

I was recently at a friend's house. I would like to start this by saying she's a wonderful God fearing Christian and this is not meant to say otherwise. It's a nice country house with beautiful things, including a Faberge egg, which I still don't understand the point of.
Among all of these things, in the corner, she had a cabinet with a little figurine of Jesus on top. It was the only sign in the whole house that suggested she was a Jesus follower. I instantly felt the spirit say "Don't put Jesus in the corner of your life."
Too often Jesus is just a facet of who we are. He isn't allowed to infiltrate every single aspect of our lives. Stay where we put you, Lord. You can have this one part of my heart, this one part of my life. We like to use Jesus when it suits us. When we need to feel better about ourselves, or even to make people think about us in a certain way. This happens often in churches. We walk in, sing to our God, listen to a sermon, and then leave Jesus right there in the pew. If people really looked at our lives, not just the face we put on, but the way that we live our lives, would they see Jesus?
Would they know the love of Jesus if they know us? Or would we clearly need to present the corner for them to recognize us as Christians?
There was a study where they compared Christian lifestyles with those of nonbelievers. In most cases, you couldn't tell one from the other based on the way they lived. How can we expect God to recognize us as His, when our fellow man can't even tell?
"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name?' And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness." Matthew 7:21-23.
99% of people will come to the conclusion that I'm a Christian, based on what I post on facebook. Would I have the same numbers if they looked at the way I treat people? If they overheard my prayer life? If they saw how often I read the bible? I once had someone tell me that anyone can pretend to be a Christian. You can stand in a garage and call yourself a car, but it doesn't make you one.
I want every single move that I make, from the time I open my eyes, to the time I close them again, to point to Jesus. I want Him to flood every single area of my life. When people see me, I want them to see Him. I want people to know him, not just know of  Him, and how can I introduce them to a God I don't even know?
Each one of us gets to decide what we do with Jesus, and where we keep Him. Will we let Jesus mold our entire existence? Will we let Him take his rightful place, as Lord over our lives? Or will we keep Him on display, out of our way, in the corner?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happily Ever After

              I remember the day we got married. I was beautiful, dressed in white. My gorgeous groom standing at the end of the aisle. Our forever waiting on the other side of 'I Do'. I didn't even hesitate. I was never more sure of anything in my life. This man was for me. Fairy tales don't always have a happy ending. I blinked. I'm in a courtroom with that same man, before a magistrate. The best thing we ever did, standing between us, tiny hands tucked into ours, as we dissolve our family.  I regret more than anything that I didn't think ahead and get a sitter. Instead, I let my daughter witness the destruction I was trying to protect her from. I waited until I was alone, then I cried for my daughter. For the consequences my choices would have on her life. For how my decision would shape her as a person. For the family I ripped from her.              Divorce is heavy. It affects my children, my witness, my family and friends. It even affects my relationship

Angel of Death

I have never wanted to be a nurse. My mother is a nurse and she put me up to it. I had a son and had no idea how to take care of him, and nursing would pay the bills. That's the honest beginning of my nursing career. I've been a nurse for over a decade now, and have worked many places. I once worked for a nursing home that had about 50 residents. There was a stretch there where every patient that passed away, did it on my shift. I got the nickname angel of death. I used to get offended when called that because no one wants to be associated with death. Ironically enough, I've been a hospice nurse for the last 7 years. For those of you who don't know, hospice simply means end of life care. I have listened to a heart, beat its last beat. I have held a persons hand while they took their last breath. I have read scripture to a preachers son as he went into the arms of Jesus. I have had the honor of being there for patients and families as they struggle to say goodbye to th

The Opposite of More

I was listening to a program that had the author of 'The Shack' speaking. He was talking about losing everything he owned and starting over. He said something that I wrote down because I thought it was  significant. He said 'the opposite of more, isn't less. The opposite of more, is enough'. I can admit that I struggle with that in my life. We live in a world where we are constantly told that we are less than, if we don't have everything other people have. We concentrate more on others' blessings, than our own. We scroll tirelessly on social media sites, envious of each other's houses, clothes, parenting, hair, personalities, talents, etc. We set up our own perfect pictures, removing any clutter from the photo, and instead, staging what looks to be an intimate hallmark moment. Then we filter it obsessively until it no longer even resembles real life. We make our children get in on the action too. Inadvertently teaching them that the way the world sees