Skip to main content

Here is the Church, here is the Steeple

God has been showing me so much lately, regarding His church.  We typically go to church to get something, not to give something. We pick things out of the service that bother us. Maybe we didn't like the way the pastor said something. Maybe the songs didn't move us. Childcare wasn't running smoothly. The people aren't as dressed up as we expect them to be.
More and more I wonder, is this what church is supposed to look like? Where we are more worried about child check in, than worshipping with our own kids? Where we are first with an opinion, but definitely not the first to volunteer? What if we came to serve? To be conduits, instead of always consuming. What if we realized that people fell on their faces in awe of our God, and we barely mouth words to the songs, not even recognizing the majesty of our creator.
I see people church shopping on facebook about once a week. They list what they're looking for. Good nursery, how's the praise and worship? We need a church that's casual, that's got a youth group, that is a small church, big church, Baptist church, Pentecostal church, hipster church. Sometimes they even mention how their church has done them wrong. I wish I could say I haven't done this. I actually told a pastor once that I wasn't attending his church because I thought the worship team sounded like music played at a funeral. I've once been asked to leave a church because Kaden was talking during the sermon. He was about 6 months old. It was the most embarrassed I have ever been in a church, and I sure used it enough times as an excuse when I didn't feel like going. In America, we church shop. Other Christians in other countries are getting killed for their beliefs, and we are literally asking people to cater to ours. When Jesus told us to pick up our cross daily, is this what He meant?
This might offend you. It offends me, but maybe we need to be offended. Maybe over the years we've learned to shove down that feeling of conviction in lieu of the American Christian life.
The church isn't called to be comfortable. We are called to be Christ-like.
'A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.' John 13:34-35.
This was a commandment. Not a suggestion. Imagine how hard that is when we see each other for one hour out of the entire week, speaking hello and goodbye. Is this what Jesus meant? These past few weeks in my church, as we gathered, I got a glimpse of what I  think Jesus intended His church to look like. It was beautiful. The people in the pews came together in real fellowship. The children and the people in one place worshipping. It was joyful. It was real. It was church. Why aren't we doing this every week? In every church?
Jefferson Bethke said 'the church isn't brick and mortar, it's flesh and bone.' The church didn't even become a building until hundreds of years after Christ's death. The church was people, serving each other and spreading the gospel to the world. We've taken something so simple, and complicated it. Love God, and love each other.
We're not going to change the world by going to church. We will only change the world by being the church. It isn't something we go to, it's a family that we belong to.
Here is the church, here is the steeple. Tear down the doors, church is the people!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happily Ever After

              I remember the day we got married. I was beautiful, dressed in white. My gorgeous groom standing at the end of the aisle. Our forever waiting on the other side of 'I Do'. I didn't even hesitate. I was never more sure of anything in my life. This man was for me. Fairy tales don't always have a happy ending. I blinked. I'm in a courtroom with that same man, before a magistrate. The best thing we ever did, standing between us, tiny hands tucked into ours, as we dissolve our family.  I regret more than anything that I didn't think ahead and get a sitter. Instead, I let my daughter witness the destruction I was trying to protect her from. I waited until I was alone, then I cried for my daughter. For the consequences my choices would have on her life. For how my decision would shape her as a person. For the family I ripped from her.              Divorce is heavy. It affects my children, my witness, my family and friends. It even affects my relationship

Angel of Death

I have never wanted to be a nurse. My mother is a nurse and she put me up to it. I had a son and had no idea how to take care of him, and nursing would pay the bills. That's the honest beginning of my nursing career. I've been a nurse for over a decade now, and have worked many places. I once worked for a nursing home that had about 50 residents. There was a stretch there where every patient that passed away, did it on my shift. I got the nickname angel of death. I used to get offended when called that because no one wants to be associated with death. Ironically enough, I've been a hospice nurse for the last 7 years. For those of you who don't know, hospice simply means end of life care. I have listened to a heart, beat its last beat. I have held a persons hand while they took their last breath. I have read scripture to a preachers son as he went into the arms of Jesus. I have had the honor of being there for patients and families as they struggle to say goodbye to th

The Opposite of More

I was listening to a program that had the author of 'The Shack' speaking. He was talking about losing everything he owned and starting over. He said something that I wrote down because I thought it was  significant. He said 'the opposite of more, isn't less. The opposite of more, is enough'. I can admit that I struggle with that in my life. We live in a world where we are constantly told that we are less than, if we don't have everything other people have. We concentrate more on others' blessings, than our own. We scroll tirelessly on social media sites, envious of each other's houses, clothes, parenting, hair, personalities, talents, etc. We set up our own perfect pictures, removing any clutter from the photo, and instead, staging what looks to be an intimate hallmark moment. Then we filter it obsessively until it no longer even resembles real life. We make our children get in on the action too. Inadvertently teaching them that the way the world sees