Skip to main content

Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice

Today my daughter turns 4 years old. I can't even believe I can say those words. I think every woman wants a daughter. Our heart aches for a little girl. I remember during our ultrasound, when the woman told us "it's a girl." I remember the joy that I felt. God had finally given me a daughter.
Fast forward to now. Arilyn Grace is this tiny little lady. She loves dresses and baby dolls. She's sweet and kind. She's goofy and friendly. She's the most beautiful little girl I know. Raising a daughter is very much like raising yourself. You think of all the things you want to teach her, all the things you wish you knew.
One day I was walking through hobby lobby, which most of you know, I basically keep in business. I was looking for some signs to hang in Arilyn's bedroom. I had previously bought her one that said "child of God" and "beautiful girl, you can do amazing things." I was looking for something else to put on her empty wall. At the time I wasn't looking for something she could find her identity in. I just wanted something adorable. I was heavily leaning toward "in a field of roses, she is a wildflower," because I thought that described my girl pretty well. I had actually picked it up and was heading toward the checkout, when I passed a sign that stopped me in my tracks. It was based on bible verse 1Peter 3:3-4. It said "it is not fancy hair, gold jewelry, or fine clothes that should make you beautiful. No, your beauty should come from inside you, the beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit. That beauty will never disappear, and it is worth very much to God."
The actual scripture says 'let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious'. I think that's even more beautiful.
We live in an age where the world shows us what women are supposed to be. We look to celebrities and characters on television to tell us how to behave. Little girls admire women who are barely dressed and proud of their promiscuity. It breaks my heart to think Arilyn could look up to these women, or end up being one of these women. When I was growing up, I never knew that God wanted me to be gentle and quiet. I thought being sassy was cute. It wasn't until my late twenties that I started caring who God wanted me to be. I want Arilyn to know that not only is it okay to be that quiet gentle spirit, but in fact it's precious to God.
That sign is now hanging on Arilyn's pink bedroom wall. I hope that she reads it often. I hope that the words imprint on her heart. And when the world tells her that she needs to be loud and opinionated. Independent and headstrong. Sassy and wild. I want her to come home and see every day that God wants her to be kind and gentle. Loving and quiet. Thoughtful and nurturing. And I hope that His words drown out the world. I want her to know that who God created her to be, is more important that what the world wants to mold her into.
Happy 4th birthday Arilyn Grace. You are my bestest girl. My baby bird. I love you more than all the stars in the sky.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happily Ever After

              I remember the day we got married. I was beautiful, dressed in white. My gorgeous groom standing at the end of the aisle. Our forever waiting on the other side of 'I Do'. I didn't even hesitate. I was never more sure of anything in my life. This man was for me. Fairy tales don't always have a happy ending. I blinked. I'm in a courtroom with that same man, before a magistrate. The best thing we ever did, standing between us, tiny hands tucked into ours, as we dissolve our family.  I regret more than anything that I didn't think ahead and get a sitter. Instead, I let my daughter witness the destruction I was trying to protect her from. I waited until I was alone, then I cried for my daughter. For the consequences my choices would have on her life. For how my decision would shape her as a person. For the family I ripped from her.              Divorce is heavy. It affects my children, my witness, my family and friends. It even affects my relationship

Angel of Death

I have never wanted to be a nurse. My mother is a nurse and she put me up to it. I had a son and had no idea how to take care of him, and nursing would pay the bills. That's the honest beginning of my nursing career. I've been a nurse for over a decade now, and have worked many places. I once worked for a nursing home that had about 50 residents. There was a stretch there where every patient that passed away, did it on my shift. I got the nickname angel of death. I used to get offended when called that because no one wants to be associated with death. Ironically enough, I've been a hospice nurse for the last 7 years. For those of you who don't know, hospice simply means end of life care. I have listened to a heart, beat its last beat. I have held a persons hand while they took their last breath. I have read scripture to a preachers son as he went into the arms of Jesus. I have had the honor of being there for patients and families as they struggle to say goodbye to th

The Opposite of More

I was listening to a program that had the author of 'The Shack' speaking. He was talking about losing everything he owned and starting over. He said something that I wrote down because I thought it was  significant. He said 'the opposite of more, isn't less. The opposite of more, is enough'. I can admit that I struggle with that in my life. We live in a world where we are constantly told that we are less than, if we don't have everything other people have. We concentrate more on others' blessings, than our own. We scroll tirelessly on social media sites, envious of each other's houses, clothes, parenting, hair, personalities, talents, etc. We set up our own perfect pictures, removing any clutter from the photo, and instead, staging what looks to be an intimate hallmark moment. Then we filter it obsessively until it no longer even resembles real life. We make our children get in on the action too. Inadvertently teaching them that the way the world sees